If you have a half patio umbrella, you need a good half patio umbrella base or stand unless your vendor sold you a half patio umbrella with a stand. These two are designed to be used together.
Usually, unlike other stands, a half umbrella stand sits against a flat vertical surface such as a wall, sliding doors, windows, etc.) and is compact. Therefore, it will fit nicely in those small decks, balconies, courtyard, patio, boathouses, lanais, alleys, café, bards, and so on.
So, what are some of the best half patio umbrella brands or bases you should buy?
1. Sundale Outdoor Half Round Resin Umbrella Base for Half Patio Umbrella, Black, 24”L x 12”W x 13.8”H, 33 lbs
Perfect for half umbrellas that measure up to 9ft with a pole diameter of 1.49-1.89 inches, Sundale Outdoor Half Round Resin Umbrella Base is an excellent buy.
It is made with resin and a steel pole holding tube with a tightening knob. You will love its black smooth textured finish and is popular in most like Walmart, Amazon, Target, Wayfair, Overstock, Home Depot, and so on.
- The resin used is not only durable but also rust and water-resistant. Your base will look new season after season.
- It has a modern classic design that will match well with your patio, balcony, or wherever you will use it.
- Compact and slim design. It will not take much of your space where you use it or when dismantled for storage.
- Easy to setup
- Not so portable.
- Dimensions: 24 inches x 12 inches x 13.8 inches (Length x Width x Height)
- Price: $138.99
2. Best Choice Products 19 in, 20 lb Resin Half Patio Umbrella Stand Base
Best Choice Products 19 in, 20 lb Resin Half Patio Umbrella Stand Base is a popular, classy, and highly-rated stand ideal for half patio umbrellas measuring up to 7.5ft with up to 1.5-inch diameter pole.
This black base is made of resin, and a steel locking neck (with a single tightening knob) will fit your small patio area, balcony, or deck well.
- Durable. This stand is weather and rust-resistant, making it ideal for varied outdoor uses, lasting for a long time.
- It is appealing and will perfectly complement your outdoor fixtures and furniture. We bet you will like its beautiful floral accents.
- It features a small and compact design (saves space).
- Easy to assemble
- It is light in weight.
- Dimensions: 19 inches long by 12 inches wide by 12.5 inches high.
- UPC: SKY3216
- Price: $55.39
3. Sunnyglade 40 lb Half Moon Shaped Water Filled Umbrella Base Patio Umbrella Stand (Black)
Sunnyglade 40 lb Half Moon Shaped Water Filled Umbrella Base Patio Umbrella Stand is an excellent choice if you have an extra-large half patio umbrella that measures up to 11ft in size.
This black fillable stand is made of HDPE plastic, and a steel pole holding tube fits that half umbrellas with pole diameters of 1.5 and 1.9-inches, thanks to the two plastic inserts.
- The HDPE plastic used is durable, sturdy, and weather-resistant. It won’t deform when filled with water or even sand.
- This base comes with two plastic inserts for two umbrella pole diameter sizes, the 1.5-inch, and 1.9inch.
- The umbrella base holding tube or neck has two locking knobs that will fit your umbrella tightly.
- It has a charming swirling design.
- Value for money
- Easy to assemble
- it is massive
- The umbrella holding tube does rocks in some instances. You will need to keep adjusting the screw that connects the base of this holding tube.
- Dimensions: Without the holding tube, it measures 45.5cm x 12.5 cm (Diameter x Stand Height). When it has the locking sleeve that holds your umbrella, it has an overall height of 14 inches.
- Price: $39.39
Home Zone Living 40lb Half Round Fillable Patio Umbrella Base Stand, 18in, Pole Holder, Water or Sand and Sundale Outdoor Half Round Universal Heavy Duty Plastic Water Sand Patio Half Round Umbrella Base Stand are more or less a look-alike and didn’t see the reason to review them again.
4. Giantex 20″ Outdoor Patio Half Round Umbrella Base Stand Black W/ 9Ft Half Round Umbrella (Stand)
Featuring an ornate floral design, Giantex 20″ Outdoor Patio Half Round Umbrella Base Stand is a fashionable 20 lb half umbrella base made of resin. It features an antique black powder-coated finish and steel pole holding sleeve that has a tightening hand knob.
The umbrella is best suited for no larger than 7.5ft half umbrellas, less it begins to topple or wobble. It can accommodate standard umbrella pole diameters, i.e., ranging from 1.25-1.9 inches.
- Its compact design will allow you to place it even in small balconies or decks without taking much of your space. Also, once you dismantle it, it won’t take much space while storing it.
- The durable resin used in making it will not peel, chip, rust, or corrode, meaning it will serve you for a long time.
- Stylish and classy design with floral accents
- Excellent customer service
- Lightweight. Please don’t use it with more oversized umbrellas.
- Dimensions: 20″ x 10″ x 13″ (Length x Width x Height)
- Price: $45.99
5. Pure Garden 20 lb Half Round Umbrella Base – Black
Pure Garden 20 lb half round umbrella base looks more or less like Best Choice Products 19 in and Giantex 20″ we have already looked at, especially the charming floral accents, black color, and overall weight that is 20 lbs.
It is made with a concrete-filled resin shell and a steel holding tube. You can use it with up to 7.5ft half umbrellas with 1.75 or 2-inch pole diameters (comes with two plastic inserts for these pole diameters).
- It is durable and weather resistant. Expect many years of service.
- Like most other brands, it is compact and will fit in tiny spaces.
- It has two inserts that fit two pole sizes.
- Floral accents look amazing.
- Reports of breakages
- Dimensions: 19 inches by 12 inches x 13 inches (Length x Width x Height)
- Price: $72.57
6. Island Umbrella Resin Half Round Umbrella Base
If you need a 20 lb half patio stand and you don’t prefer the one with decorations, Island Umbrella Resin Half Round Umbrella Base will be an excellent alternative.
This base with a textured brown finish made with blended polyresin and a steel neck and is ideal for up to 7.5 ft half umbrellas with up to 1.89 pole diameter.
- The base is resistant to rusting, cracking, or weather elements.
- It features a classic, modern design with a textured brown finish that is so alluring.
- Easy to assemble
- Compact design
- It is light in weight, i.e., it will tip over when it is windy.
- Dimensions: 19.7″ x 12.6″ x 12.2″ (Length x Width x Height)
- Price: $79.99
Cast Iron Half Umbrella Base – 17.7 Inch Diameter by Trademark Innovations
This 25 lb Trademark Innovations Cast Iron Half Umbrella Base is the most charming and beautiful looking half umbrella base.
It comes in amazing black or one with a bronze finish, will fit a 1-inch diameter pole with a plastic insert or 2-inch pole, and it is suitable for up to 8 ft umbrellas.
- Compact and slim, i.e., will fit in small spaces and won’t tank much leg space. Also, it will save space if you want to store it during the off-season.
- Very sturdy and hard i.e., it is unlikely to break even when under heavy impact.
- Looks awesome
- Value for money
- Prone to rusting
- Dimensions: 17 inches by 11.5 inches x 14 inches (Length x Width x Height)
- Price: The black goes for $54.99, the one with a bronze finish $73.54
Gravipod Half-Round Umbrella Base Weight Bag – Up to 50 lbs
If you have a half patio umbrella base that keeps tumbling or tipping off, you can go for a bigger stand or get more weight. One of the best options is to buy the Gravipod Half-Round Umbrella Base Weight Bag that can accommodate up to 50 pounds and add your play sand.
This weight bag features a patented design that will work with bases with round posts that are up to 3 inches in diameter (the diameter of the holding tube of your stand).
- Very Durable. The bag is made with a rugged and long-lasting 600D Ballistic Rip-stop polyester, lined inside with PVC, and has triple stitch-locked seams.
- No hard edges you may kick. It doesn’t get ding, dent, or rust. Also, it is gentle to your toes in case you accidentally hit it.
- The Industrial Grade Velcro will ensure the bag is tightly locked.
- Easy and convenient to fill it.
- Most people don’t like the large logo across the side
- Price: $29.95
We have looked at the best half umbrella bases to buy. All of them were non-mounted types. You can still go for the mounted stands (permanently fixed or mounted and may be in-ground and surface mounted).
Should you want to pick your stand, besides price and personal preference, here are essential tips you should put into consideration which include the following:
Since, by design, half patio umbrellas are freestanding, you need to ensure you have the correct base weights to prevent tumbling or wobbling, especially when there is a breeze or it is windy. Below is a table guide to help you decide on the right half umbrella base size.
|Half umbrella size||Minimum weight (lb)|
|Up to 7.5ft||20|
Material of construction
When selecting a construction material for your patio umbrella, you need to pick one that is heavy, doesn’t rust, corrode, chip or peel. Also, it should be weather-resistant and durable.
Common materials used in making umbrella bases include steel, stainless steel, cast iron, plastic (fillable with sand or water), concrete, resin/stone composite, and fiberglass (concrete prefilled). However, some stands, such as the side table, may have wicker, plastic, aluminum, or composite materials.
- Resin/stone composite: Weather resistant, doesn’t rust, and no filling painting is required. Also, they are very durable.
- Steel and stainless steel: Heavy duty and very strong. It is unlikely to break. However, they may rust if not galvanized or powder-coated. However, if you pick stainless steel, it may be expensive but will not rust.
- Cast iron: Heavy-duty, strong, and cheaper than steel. On the downside, it is very vulnerable to rusting and may break under heavy impact.
- Concrete – Very heavy and weather-resistant. However, it may break if dropped.
- Plastic – They are fillable stands (you fill with sand or water). These bases are inexpensive, durable, don’t rust, crack, flake, and versatile. However, they need filling before you can use them. Also, some may be bulky.
The third essential consideration is the features it has. Some features to look for include the following:
- Wheels: If you settle for a heavy brand that isn’t fillable and intend to move it, go for the wheeled ones. At least two of these wheels should be lockable to prevent the base from moving when the wind blows.
- Handles: Smaller, not so heavy bases with handles make carrying them much more manageable.
- Feet: To minimize scratches or damage on your décor, buy brands with rubber pads.
- Decorations: You will get brands with floral accents, swirls, patterns, and so on. Go for what you like. In most cases, cast iron and resin brands are more decorative.
Dimensions and size
Consider the length (diameter), width, and height of your base with and without the umbrella holding tube, sleeve, or neck. It should fit where you intend to use it.
Usually, bases with a slim design are ideal if you intend to have people sitting around them as it will not take much leg space.
Finally, for market umbrella stands, ensure the inside diameter of the locking pole sleeve or neck is at least 1/4 inches larger than your umbrella pole.
Bases come in various colors, standard colors being black, brown, grey, and white. Pick something that complements your other patio furniture and fitting or what you prefer.