There isn’t much change in the best half patio umbrella in 2021, with most 2020 top brands ranking highly this year. A few newcomers are much or less similar to what was in the market last year, perhaps with a few improvements here and there.
Before we go into details, here are our top picks. Our rating is based on canopy fabric and frame quality, features, user rating, pricing, support, and experts’ comments, and how well the umbrella is made (finish, sewing, and so on).
|Best Overall||Blue Star Group Off-The-Wall Brella Sunbrella Half Umbrella, 9′-Width, Black|
|Runners-up||Pure Garden 50-145-T 9′ Half Round Patio Umbrella|
|Best Polyester||Best Choice Products 9ft Half Market Patio Umbrella w/Crank|
|Best Olefin||Blue Star Group Off-The-Wall Brella Olefin Half Umbrella, 7.5′-Width|
|Best Extra Large||ABCCANOPY 11FT Patio Umbrella Half Round Outdoor Umbrella with Crank for Wall Balcony Door Window Sun Shade|
|Best with Lights||Home & Comfort 9′ Patio LED Half Umbrella LED – Solar Powered (Tan)|
|Best Rectangular||COBANA 7.5’by 4’Half Rectangular Outdoor Patio Umbrella for Patio, Balcony, Garden, Deck.|
|Best Tilting||Yescom 10ft Outdoor Patio Half Umbrella for Wall Balcony Door Parasol Yard Sun Shade with Tilt and Crank|
When to buy a half umbrella?
Half umbrellas are designed to be placed flush against the wall or any other vertical, especially when coupled with a half patio umbrella stands, a reason why you may find some people calling them wall hugger patio umbrella.
They are ideal for small or narrow courtyards, patio, gardens, decks, terraces, lanais, backyards, porches, and so on in residential areas.
You will find them on restaurants, bars, cafes, street shops, markets, etc., on very narrow streets or where space is limited, and they are placed adjacent to structure walls in commercial places.
However, you can still use these umbrellas on your poolside, boathouses, recreational vehicles, boats, and any other places
Finally, townhouse, apartment, and condominiums dwellers will find half patio umbrellas an excellent choice, especially on their balconies. What a better way to watch a sunset or enjoy outdoor scenery if you have a small space than to have this umbrella?
Best half patio umbrellas review
We considered most of the famous half umbrellas brands at various market places, including Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wayfair, Walmart, Overstock, etc.
Our experts tasted some of these umbrellas (the ones we could get), and we considered what patio experts, product testers, and users are saying about these brands.
From Sunbrella to rectangular to tiltable to those with solar lights, here is our review of the best half umbrellas to purchase:
1. Blue Star Group Off-The-Wall Brella Sunbrella Half Umbrella, 9′-Width
This Sunbrella half umbrella is a well-made simply the best brand buy. It has a Sunbrella canopy fabric, a sturdy powder-coated aluminum frame (pole and five ribs), a crank lift, and a wind vent.
- Sunbrella is the best canopy fabric in the umbrella industry. It is thick, fade-resistant, offers protection from UV (UV resistant). Also, it will last years before fading, and you will love the precise various canopy colors.
- It is made with excellent craft
- The powder-coated aluminum frame is sturdy, and the powder-coating will ensure it doesn’t chip, rust, corrode or peel.
- Blue Star Group have excellent customer service and support
- They sell replacement canopies
- Not tiltable
- Very expensive
- It doesn’t have a strap to hold it once you close it.
- Canopy colors: Teak, black, pacific blue, walnut, antique beige, and yellow
- Dimensions: Overall height = 99 inches (8.25ft), pole diameter = 1.5 inches, canopy size = 106 inches by 54 inches (Width x Depth), pole diameter = 1.5 inches
If you want a genuinely durable and good quality 9 ft half umbrella that won’t fade quickly, this is the brand to buy. It is well-made, rust and corrosion-resistant, very sturdy, and will give you value for your money. Also, they have a 7.5ft with the same specs.
Pure Garden 50-145-T 9′ Half Round Patio Umbrella
Measuring 9ft, this Pure Garden half round patio umbrella is sturdy, well-made, and has adorable canopy colors, yet very affordable. It features a crank-lift, steel frame, and a 160g polyester canopy with an essential air vent.
Pure Garden 50-145-T 9 ft is the most selling brand among half patio umbrellas on Amazon and has many positive reviews from many users across various marketplaces, including Amazon, Home Depot, and Walmart.
- Very affordable
- Sturdy steel frame (pole and five ribs)
- The 160g polyester canopy fabric used is water-resistant and will offer protection from the sun.
- Eight charming canopy colors
- The polyester fabric fades quickly, and it is thin. It doesn’t seem to block the sun so well.
- It cannot be tilted
- It lacks a closure strap to tie when closed.
- Canopy colors: Blue, sand, hunter green, red, tan, dusty green, terra cotta, and bright blue.
- Dimensions: Height = 98 inches (8.17ft), crank height = 48 inches, canopy size = 52 inches (by 108 inches (Depth x Width) and pole diameter = 1.5 inches.
This Pure Garden half-round patio umbrella is the best choice for people who want a great-looking, well-made, yet very affordable half-round patio umbrella. It will serve you well, and many people love and recommend it. If not for the fading part that occurs quickly, it could be the best half- patio umbrella to buy.
Best Choice Products 9ft Half Market Patio Umbrella w/Crank
Best Choice Products 9ft Half Market Patio Umbrella w/Crank another fantastic brand with a sturdy rust-resistant powder-coated steel frame (pole and five ribs) and a polyester canopy that is UV resistant and waterproof.
This well-made and affordable half-round umbrella has a wind vent to allow free air circulation and a crank lift for opening and closing it. Did you know that it is a trendy brand in various market places?
- It is durable and sturdy frame construction that won’t yield easily even in harsh weather conditions.
- Lovely canopy colors
- Best Choice Products offer great customer support
- it is affordable
- Fade quickly
- Not tiltable
- No securing strap once you close it.
- Canopy colors: Blue, Red, Tan, green, and brown
- Dimensions: Overall height = 7.625ft, canopy size = 8.75 ft by 4.5 ft (Width x Depth), crank height = 45 inches and pole diameter = 1.5 inches.
Best Choice Products (BCP) have quality umbrellas. This particular umbrella is very sturdy yet affordable. Also, it will perform well even in moderately windy conditions, and the frame will not peel, chip, corrode or rust easily. However, it does fade quickly.
Blue Star Group Off-The-Wall Brella Olefin Half Umbrella, 7.5′-Width
Blue Star Group Off-The-Wall Brella Olefin Half Umbrella, 7.5 ft, is made with a sturdy, powder-coated aluminum frame (pole and five ribs) and an olefin canopy fabric. It also has a basic wind vent and a crank lift for opening and closing it.
If you wanted a much larger one, Blue Star Group has a similar 9ft half umbrella that will provide more extensive coverage.
- Superior canopy fabric. Olefin fabric closely competes with Sunbrella, but it is much cheaper, making it the second-best choice of canopy fabric in terms of colorfastness. It is also strong, durable, and versatile.
- Powder-coated frame in champagne finish will not chip, peel, rust, or corrode. Also, it is sturdy to prevent breakages when it is windy.
- It has adorable canopy colors. Choose what will best compliment your patio, garden, balcony, courtyard, and so on.
- Blue Star Group offers excellent customer support and service.
- They sell replacement canopies.
- It is relatively expensive. However, it is worth every penny you spend on it.
- It doesn’t tilt
- it lacks a securing strap to tie it when closed.
- Canopy colors: Yellow, antique beige, red, blue, green, and chocolate.
- Dimensions: Overall height = 7.83ft, canopy size = 88 inches by 45, pole diameter (Width x Depth) = 1.5 inches.
If you cannot afford Sunbrella but still want a brand that performs very well when it comes to colorfastness, buy this olefin half umbrella. It has a sturdy, rust-resistant frame and will last for a long time.
ABCCANOPY 11FT Patio Umbrella Half Round Outdoor Umbrella with Crank for Wall Balcony Door Window Sun Shade
If you require an extra-large half patio umbrella, ABCCANOPY 11FT Half Round Outdoor Umbrella with Crank for Wall Balcony Door Window Sun Shade is an excellent buy. This half sun umbrella has a UV-resistant canopy, powder-coated steel frame (pole and five ribs), a crank lift, and an air vent.
- UV resistant (98%) huge canopy in 10 lovely colors
- It has a sturdy frame made of powder-coated steel to prevent peeling, chipping, corrosion, or rusting.
- Thin fabric that fades quickly
- Absence of a closure strap to secure it to the pole once its canopy.
- Colors: Burgundy, blue, orange, khaki, turquoise, light grey, and dark grey.
- Dimensions: Overall height = 8.37ft, canopy size = 10ft by 5ft (Width x Depth), pole diameter = 1.5 inches and height to crank = 35.4 inches.
This well-rated and famous half outdoor umbrella is an excellent pick for people who require more extensive coverage. It is affordable yet sturdy and durable. However, like any other polyester brand, it may fade too soon.
Trademark Innovations PATUMB TAN Patio Half Umbrella-9′ Diameter
One thing that makes this 9ft Trademark Innovations patio half umbrella a great choice is not just the lovely colors the canopy has but also the stainless-steel frame (pole and five ribs). It also has a crank lift and an air vent.
- Its frame is made from stainless steel that is highly resistant to corrosion, making it an excellent pick for people who stay in places vulnerable to rusting and corrosion.
- Heavy-duty 180g polyester that comes in charming colors
- Poor workmanship
- It doesn’t tilt
- polyester fades fast
- No closure straps
- Colors: Blue, pink, orange, teal, tan, azure, peacock, melon and spa
- Dimensions: Overall height = 8ft, canopy = 9ft by 4.5ft (Diameter x Depth) and pole diameter = 1.5 inches.
The stainless-steel frame is superior in strength if compared to aluminum, yet it doesn’t corrode or rust easily, making this half market umbrella a worthwhile buy. It is affordable, sturdy but may fade quickly.
Home & Comfort 9′ Patio LED Half Umbrella LED – Solar Powered (Tan)
This beautiful half umbrella with lights has a steel frame (pole and five ribs), a 180g polyester canopy, an air vent, a solar panel, and 20 LED lights with an ON/OFF switch.
- The lighted half umbrella provides a subtle, Christmas-like adorable light to keep your conversation, barbeque, romantic dinner, or any other event going on when the sun sets, thanks to the solar-powered LED lights, four on each rib. Just turn them on.
- LED lights don’t burn hot (won’t damage the fabric), last longer, and don’t attract many insects, making them a good choice.
- The steel frame is sturdy.
- Not tiltable
- The closure strap is absent
- The canopy fades quickly
- LED lights are not bright for reading or any activity that requires more brilliant focused light.
- Colors: Tan
- Dimensions: Overall height = 9ft, canopy size = 108 by 54 inch (Width x Depth), and pole diameter = 1.5 inches.
Not many of the half garden umbrellas you will get have LED solar-powered lights, making this brand the first choice if you value something with lights. However, considering full umbrellas the same size is more than twice cheaper, we find it costly.
COBANA 7.5’by 4’Half Rectangular Outdoor Patio Umbrella for Patio, Balcony, Garden, Deck
COBANA 7.5’by 4’Half Rectangular Outdoor Patio Umbrella for Patio, Balcony, Garden, Deck is one of the best hall rectangular patio umbrellas to buy.
It has a heavy-duty, weather and UV-resistant 180gsm polyester canopy, a powder-coated steel frame, an air vent, a buckle fastener, and two locking pinholes.
- The rectangular canopy design will provide a uniform and a narrower shaded area, making it a perfect choice for narrower spaces instead of a half-round umbrella.
- The heavy-duty canopy is not only waterproof but also UV resistant and comes in several lovely colors.
- Superb customer support and service
- Buckle fastener to secure the canopy to the pole when the canopy is closed.
- While touted as fade resistant to be a Grade 4 minimum at 500 hours of colorfastness polyester fabric, it does fade quickly.
- Not tiltable
- Numerous reports of breakages (pole and ribs)
- Colors: Beige, lime green, dark red, cream white, blue, and brick red
- Dimensions: Overall height = 8ft, canopy size = 90 inches by 48 inches (Length x Width), pole diameter = 1.5 inches
This half rectangular umbrella will fit better in narrow spaces and offer a more oversized uniform shade, making it a worthwhile purchase. However, only buy it if you live in places that are not windy. Also, note that it does fade quickly.
Yescom 10ft Outdoor Patio Half Umbrella for Wall Balcony Door Parasol Yard Sun Shade with Tilt and Crank
This half patio umbrella with tilt (push-button tilt) should be the first choice if you need to block the sun during different times of the day. It is made with a heavy metal frame (pole and five ribs), a 180g polyester canopy fabric said to be fade and water-resistant and offers UV30+ protection, and has a crank lift and air vent.
- This tilting half umbrella will block the sun through the day. Tilting is effortless done via push button before tilting it to the desired angle.
- Its polyester canopy offers UV30+ protection, and it is waterproof.
- The rib cap and a thickening holding bag will offer double rib protection.
- Powder-coating will ensure the frame doesn’t rust or corrode easily.
- It has a closure strap to secure it when closed
- The canopy fits loosely when fully open, i.e., doesn’t tighten well.
- Fades quickly, despite the European Standard Level 4 colorfastness.
- Flimsy frame and fragile plastic parts.
- Colors: Beige, red, black, and light green
- Dimensions: Overall height = 96-7/16 inches, canopy = 118-1/8 inches by 59 -1/16 inches (Width x Depth), crank height =48 inches and pole diameter = 1.5 inches.
While it is tiltable and made of a powder-coated steel frame, it is a little flimsy. But if you live in places with little to no wind, buy this half-moon umbrella.
Buying a half umbrella stand
Most vendors recommend or sell you a half patio umbrella with a stand, as you may have noticed. It all seems like a brilliant idea.
However, our study has revealed that some of these stands are too light to stabilize your umbrella well, with many customers complaining of their umbrellas tumbling or wobbling each time even light wind blows.
Therefore, if you need a stand, ensure it is the right size. Not all vendors recommend the correct weights but what they have.
Since, by their design, they are freestanding, we would recommend a stand that is at least 5 pounds for every foot of your umbrella’s width. For instance, if you buy a 9 ft half umbrella, get a base of at least 45 pounds, unless you intend to fix it to the surface or somewhere, or you don’t live in windy areas.
How do you choose a half-patio umbrella?
We have given you the brands in the market (except the high-end brands that cost you a fortune), you may still want to get your own. Here is what you should consider:
- Size and dimensions: Look at the shade size you need and the available space, including the height. Most brands range from 7ft to 11ft. However, you can get smaller or larger ones.
- Frame material: There are mainly made from aluminum, steel, stainless steel, fiberglass, wood, plastic, iron, etc., or a combination. Each of these frame materials has its pros and cons. Additionally, look at the various finishes such as powder-coated and anodized as they may impact durability.
- Canopy fabric: From thatched to polyester to olefin to Sunbrella to PVC to O’Bravia, you have a wide range of materials to consider. While it is expensive, Sunbrella is the umbrella’s industry leader, followed by an olefin, especially if you don’t want something that fades quickly.
- Features: Consider the various features it has, such as a crank lift, manual opening, auto tilt, push-button tilt, solar lights, fringe, wind vents, Bluetooth speakers, USB charging port, and so on and decide what suits you. Avoid tiltable or those with cranks in busy commercial places.
- Price: Not all expensive brands will give you actual value for your money. However, don’t go for a worthless piece of junk trying to make a saving. Consider your budget, compare prices at various vendors and pick what is worth your money.
- Color, prints, and pattern: The canopy color prints, and patterns, have much more to do with personal preference and how well they complement other décor and fittings. Vibrant colors will make a bold statement, while neutral colors will look more natural.
- Shape: You have a choice of buying half-round (half-octagon or moon-shaped) or rectangular half patio umbrellas. The half-round will pair well with a three-piece bistro outdoor set (two chairs and a table), while the rectangular may find even a hammock.
- Protection: A perfect brand should offer protection from not just the sun but also rain. Look at truly waterproof brands and those that provide UV protection. You don’t want to end up with skin cancer because yours doesn’t filter the harmful UV light rays.
- Intended use: They should be able to withstand their intended use, such as a place that is windy or has high traffic. For instance, did you know that there are umbrellas for windy locations?
How to care for your umbrella?
The care your half umbrella is affordable may affect its longevity and how quickly it fades. Some of the primary care tips include the following:
- Close it during storms, strong winds, or when not in use. Never leave it open overnight, no matter how wind-resistant it is, as it may be blown away or break.
- Invest in a good cover. Once you close it, consider covering it. Also, cover it when you want to store it (during off-season times). However, ensure it is dry if you intend to keep it.
- In case of dirt, brush off any loose dirt, spray it with mild soap and warm water solution and clean it with a sponge or a brush with soft bristles. Rinse it thoroughly, and air dry it.